Sunday, November 9, 2008

Ngaruawahia

Images of Ngaruawahia, early 20th century, from a portion of a photo album once owned by the Armanasco family of Blockhouse Bay.









I've left the photos as-is in scanning. They aren't all inserted straight, as you can see, and were glued (!) onto the pages with fancy frames on other pages glued (!!) onto the photos. I know this is something some scrapbookers do these days, but hey ...

I was given just a few pages from the album which has been separated by the Blockhouse Bay Historical Society. They'd removed images relating to Blockhouse Bay. I wish the album had been left whole and as complete as possible, though, and lodged with Special Collections or the Auckland Museum. At the moment, I'm scanning each image in both .tif and .jpeg, and this week I'll drop what I do have of the album into Special Collections for safe keeping.

As I do the scanning, I'll post more of the images up on the blog.

6 comments:

  1. Hi these are great images of Ngaruawahia. As a resident of Ngaruawahia and someone who works at the Catholic School where that little Catholic Church still stands, (and is at the moment being painted)it's great to find old photos like these.
    I myself have collected old postcards and are trying to display images like these at our local Art Centre, Twin Rivers. Is there any way that you could scan these images and email them to me to have them displayed in our community. We as a community would be extremely grateful.
    My email tinkzz1@gmail.com

    Regards
    Jane Kerr-Bell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jane -- an email is on its way to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have on just found these photos, and like Jane am a resident,and on the Community Board for Ngaruawahia. These photos are treasures and we are sadly missing good quality ones. Thank you for making them available.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Armanasco family of Blockhouse Bay
    donated land for the first Catholic Church in Blockhouse bay.

    Do you have any photographs of that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check out the Blockhouse Bay Heritage Walks brochure. An online version is available here.

    ReplyDelete