Sunday, June 21, 2009

Vancouver, Westminster and Yukon Railways sign


(This came from Phil Hanson this afternoon:)

Hi - this is actually just a comment on the old K'Road signs, but I've attached a photo. Geographically, it's a bit beyond Timespanner's normal rounds, so feel free to choose to use it or not. I just thought with your soft spot for things rail ...

It's great when old signage comes back from the past like this. It happened quite a bit during a building boom when I was living in Vancouver. I know this has nothing to do with the Auckland area, but I have to share one of my favourites, the signage of the VW&Y Railway. It reappeared when an old building was demolished, exposing the wall of its neighbour for the first time in over 70 years. The Vancouver, Westminster and Yukon Railways was started by a Vancouver industrialist and laid a number of local tracks before going bankrupt. It never went anywhere near the Yukon; in those days promoters liked to tag grandiose or fanciful "& suffixes" to their railway names to help attract investors!

(Oh yes, that soft spot for rail -- and actually also for old advertising remnants on buildings etc. -- means I'm delighted to include this on Timespanner. Thank you, Phil!)

No comments:

Post a Comment