Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Lively Brays of Mt Albert

I've been working on this piece of research for a couple of days, all coming via the usual circuitous route of diversion-following which I do when not really looking into a project specifically. In the city on Friday, at the end of some commissions, I went into the Research Centre at the library to look up some articles related to the Henderson racecourses. I was in the late December period for 1867 because Boxing Day on some years during the 1860s was when the Dundee Saw Mill Races were usually held (started initially by Thomas Henderson, apparently, for the benefit of his mill workers. Probably the stop-gap until a hotel could be started up there, and a healthier alternative to same.) Anyway ...

I was scanning through the NZ Herald film file for December -- and spotted the A. K. Taylor attack story of Christmas Eve. This had remained undated in the book In Old Mt Albert by Dick Scott. Then, later, I saw William Galbraith's rather pointed letter identifying himself as the man who "impertinently" put his head into Taylor's carriage -- something else I hadn't seen before. Finally, came the report of an arrest made and the police court hearing concerning William Bray. I then contacted a friend of mine who is a descendant of the Bray family of contractors in Onehunga, and asked if his line included some Mt Albert settlers, and the answer was yes ...

Now, I have another piece of Avondale's puzzle filled in, as well as Mt Albert's. Thomas Bray and his sons William and George owned land between what is now Richardson Road and Oakley Creek, leading down between Hendon Ave and New North Road (and, for a time, the Pak n' Save site as well). Part of that land, the remaining farm owned by Thomas Bray at least in the early 1880s, went to his son-in-law J. Stewart, whose name keeps popping up with some regularity as a landmark for both Avondale and Mt Albert Road Board minutes. All this may even help me nail down a Mr. Gallagher in the future, someone I've been trying to sort out (who attempted to start up a brickyard, and have a rail siding along Blockhouse Bay Road towards his land, but failed with both projects).

Anyway, here's the research:

The Lively Brays of Mt Albert.

Update: confusion between John Stewart (married to Mary Bray and the next owner of Thomas Bray's farm) and James Stewart (one of the owners of Allotment 66 and associated with the Thames Hotel) has been resolved. The original version of "The Lively Brays" has been deleted and replaced with the amendment (29 October 2008).

Update 28 April 2011: Info from Lew Redwood (see below also) re the Redwood-Bray connection

13 comments:

  1. " The Lively Bray's of Mount Albert " What a great little story !! William Bray was married to my G Grandfather John Redwood's sister Hannah Redwood .They eloped to Paihia Bay of Islands to get married in 1858, as the family was against the marriage , and were married in the Anglican Church on the 21st of October 1858 she was 14 years old ,there is some confusion over his age family history says that he was 18 years but other records put his birth as 1829 in Tiverton Devon England
    Lew Redwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lew, I was searching for information (& photos?) of my GG grandfather Thomas Bray when I found your post. William was born 6/4/1831 in Tiverton. I have a lot of information on the Bray line - if you are interested email me at ron_and_nina@slingshot.co.nz
      Cheers - Ron McMullen (on the Bray side)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for that, Lew. So, was there a link between Hannah's brother John, and the John Redwood of Karaka near Thames I've previously posted about? I see the Redwood family arrived in Auckland on the Egmont in 1855 -- John Redwood senior, John Redwood junior, Hannah, and the family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The John Redwood of Karaka Thames was my G Grandfather , Hannahs brother , he was the Manager of the "May Queen Extended" battery at the time of his death in 1899 aged 52 years. He had married Margaret Hutchison in Onehunga in 1871, Johns Father was William John Redwood ,known always as John , He was a capenter and built the Blockhouse in Onehunga in Jellicoe Park and died in 1860 aged 46 years his death has been attributed to the building of the Blockhouse during the winter months and he got pneumonia , Yes they did all arrive on the "Egmont' in 1855 .Margaret Hutchison was the Daughter of David Hutchison the boat/ship builder from OPnehunga who died in Levuka Fiji in 1867 , another of his Daughters Mary Hutchison married George Fisher my other G Grandfather who was a remmitance man and they lived in Paeroa The Hutchison's arrived in February 1860 on the Ship "Avalanche" Except for David the father he had arrived earlier but so far i have not been able to find on which ship
    Cheers Lew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My great grandfather was young David Hutchison he accompanied his father David Kennedy Hutchison on that ill fated journey around the pacific chasing the scoundrel whom took his latest build The Stanley out for sea trials before paying, never to return. It is believed he died in Levuka of a twisted bowel. Also it is believed that David Kennedy Hutchison worked his passage to New Zealand in 1859 on the Joseph Fletcher. I am a great great grand son of David Kennedy and Grace Adams Hutchison.
      cheers everbody

      Delete
  4. This is becoming more interesting by the minute! Fabulous, Lew, many thanks for the information. Are your Hutchison connections any relation to the 20th century architect William Martin Hutchison?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not that i know of . There is a small book in the Alexander Turnbull library and the Auckland Museam library called "A Group of Colonial Familys " writen by Pascoe Redwood who was my fathers cousin , and the owner of the Auckland Glass Company along with his brother John Addis Redwood , which covers the Redwood ,Hutchison , Addis , familys in early New Zealand some parts of it are not entirely correct but it is a very good account Cheers Lew

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll try to look out for that next time I make a trek to the museum. Pity there isn't a copy at the Auckland Research Centre. Cheers, Lew.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lew. I'm researching family genealogy for my son's paternal family line. He's related to David Hutchison Redwood/ Margaret Robinson Hutchison & John Redwood line. I wonder, do you have photos of any of them by any chance? I'm trying to attach photos to as many family members as I can, so any help would be most gratefully received. My contact details are cvendt@xtra.co.nz. Thanks, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cheryl,

    Try contacting Lew Redwood. He gave these details under another post here:
    (09) 4383227 or e-mail lew.redwood@whanelec.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greetings from the WAIKATO. Many moons ago my research into the pioneer families of early West Auckland, included the Bray's of Onehunga. I have some photo copied pages supplied to me, by I think, the Henderson Library.

    They are from a booklet titled, HAIL PIONEER - THE BRAY SAGA. Noted within the pages, was a note that the comipler one Mrs SOAR, had presented her findings to a couple, on the occasion of their Goldern Wedding anniversery.

    Basically it covers 100 years of the Thomas and Sarah BRAY clan tree in NZ.

    The date given being March 14th, 1956. Within the booklet there is a note of the marriage of Wm & Hannah's youngest son Leonard, to Jane Reid Lang SHARP, of Oratia, on 14/3/1906.. All noted West Auckland surnames.

    An undated www NZ HERALD article on the upcomming sale [2016?] of the H & H BARAY and Co Building, in Onehunga, caught my eye, especially when I note their historic references are well off the mark. I cannot find references to Ivan WHALE in business, or friendly society, until the1930's. Also yet to find NZ Papers Past reference to the opening of the building. It should have been a notable building in it's day.

    What I do hold is a copy, of a photo that was originally two joined landscape photos, showing Bray Bros line up of horse drawn, plus motor vehicles ready for another days work. Approx 7 early lorries, 17 horse teams and a car. I assume taken about the end of WWI.

    Now have quite an extensive PP clippings of the period related to the subject that I am oprepared to share.

    Alan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS. Update have now found the BRAY building opening date in several newspapers, as Tuesday September 6th 1927. The clue being in the hard to read, second date, alongside the buildings name, in the photo referred to.

      As William handed down the business in 1901, to become H BRAY and Co, I am uncertain about the two dates 1906 & 1927 thereupon, though it may tie in to Leonard's getting married in 1906.

      A share holding change perhaps. Also, apologies for the BRAY typo above.

      Alan.

      Delete
  10. I am just saying hello from Papamoa in Tauranga. My great Grandmother was Alice Elizabeth Bray, and my Grandmother was Freda Olive Pearl Bray.

    ReplyDelete