Thursday, December 31, 2009

Another old shop sign





Roy Turner, Ladies and Gents Hairdresser, at the top of Williamson Avenue, Grey Lynn,  just along from Foodtown. It's on one of the bus routes I often take, so I've seen this shop as a trendy African hairdresser, then a curry shop -- but now all that has gone away with the flow of financial storms, some of the past is revealed. Probably post World War II. I seem to recall a lot of the older type hairdressers had signage like this.

The photo is another of my "take it from inside the bus" shots. Hard to get the timing right (this is close to the intersection with Great North Road), but good because I can take it fairly well level.

4 comments:

  1. You seriously need to set up a faded signs site like what Andrew contributes to, Our Fading Past to document these small pieces of social history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been working on it ... more later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so delighted you've got this photo! My husband and I drive past this shop every day and for months we've been saying, we must stop and take a picture of that sign. Then just a few days ago we noticed that it's been boarded up ready to start life as a new shop presumably. What I love about this sign is that it is fully and perfectly punctuated - signwriters really knew their stuff in those days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew! I got to it just in time, then! Thanks, Yellowoasis. I agree -- it is a lovely sign. Pity it won't be left to remain.

    ReplyDelete