Friday, July 30, 2010

A walk to K'Road


Part of my Sunday walking jaunts last weekend, involved looking for a couple of control boxes along Great North and Karangahape Roads. So, off the bus at Grey Lynn, and I started looking.


Heading past well-kept old residential properties ...


... up the hill to the Grey Lynn Library (brilliant local history collection and display in an alcove inside, last time I knew. Check it out.) This was originally a site purchased by Auckland City for waterworks purposes. W H Gummer designed this 1923 building which has at least twice survived closure proposals and still provides the community  valued service.




Even though the clock was rather late in coming. Planned in 1923 but not installed, a clock finally graced the tower in 2006, designed by clockmaker Ian Laird and paid for by a grant from the Western Bays Community Board.


Construction of St Joseph's Catholic Church on Great North Road began in 1959, to the design of Guy Chambers. It remains a landmark on this particular streetscape.


The windows were designed by abstract artist Milan Mrkusich.


Next door was formerly St Joseph's Convent -- today. it's a boarding lodge.


And, here's the first of my targets that day. Trust me to pick a day when there was road works ...


And on to the next.


Tree-huggers in K'Road. Who'd have thought?





3 comments:

  1. The photos are great, especially love the windows in the church!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the old St Joseph's convent well, went there for piano lessons when I was young! Loving your blog and especially the control box art, I've taken many a photo of them over the last few years. I found it when I was looking for information on the Dawn Persson boardwalk after walking along there today. Thanks for sharing all the wonderful information on the area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers, Dawn! Always delighted to know there's another box-spotter out there. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete