Monday, October 26, 2009

2010: Bicentenary year for Thomas Maxwell Henderson

You read it here first, folks.


I realised yesterday morning that, as Thomas Henderson, of Henderson's Mill fame, was born in 1810 (I'm still trying to sort out exactly when that year he was born, but so far the commentaries agree on the December month) then 2010 is the bicentenary year of his birth. Yes, I've let Trevor Pollard, President of West Auckland Society know. I'm hoping that some celebration could be organised to mark the occasion. Stay tuned.

I'm currently working on a history of the Henderson's Mill settlement, hopefully to publish same by either later this year or early next. Bringing it out next year would be more timely, I think. Above, by the way, is the Henderson family grave at Symonds Street Cemetery, Presbyterian Section. Waitakere City Council fixed a plaque to the side of the stone commemorating Thomas Henderson senior (and one of his sons, also named Thomas) in 1994.

2 comments:

  1. Oooooooo, good on you, Lisa!
    That would be great if you could have it out next year :)
    Good luck with your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers, Jayne. Having to discipline myself not to let me get too engrossed in putting the story together, and forget to do other things during the day! :-)

    ReplyDelete