The Auckland Baptist Tabernacle today (above), and an impression from the 1902 Cyclopedia of NZ (below).
According to the Baptist Tabernacle history page, the first Auckland service was in 1855. Land was bought at the corner of Federal and Wellesley Streets (today's ASB Bank Tower) and a church built there to seat 350 people. By the 1880s, however, even with an extension, the building proved to small. The foundation stone for today's Auckland Baptist Tabernacle was laid at Easter 1884, and the building completed May 1885.